Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Model Train Help

I had always been intrigued with model railroading ever since I was a little kid. My father, brother and I had our own model train set when we were young boys. We helped my dad make this elaborate train layout, including the requisite mountain and tunnels, stock yard and scenery.

That was a long time ago now and many fond memories of those times still persist.

I have my own kids now, my father has passed on and I was finding myself drawn back to those experiences with him and that train set. I was feeling that I would like to share this with my own small children, but couldn't really remember how we got started. What kinds of trains, how to lay a track layout, where to purchase scenery and out building (did we make our own?), did I even have enough space in my house to build something like this. I was just plain stumped; I had no real memory of building the darn thing.

I had looked in our local bookstores and found them lacking in any books on building model train layouts and model railroads in general. I also went to the library, and while they had a significant collection of books and magazines on the subject, they were either dated, for the advanced modeller or histories of the toy train. I was beginning to get disheartened.

It was me eldest son (he's eight) who suggested that we try the Internet to search for information on how to build a train set. They had been talking about how to research projects in class at his school and one of the options was the Internet, provided there was guidance by an adult. We sat down at the computer and searched for information on "model railroad building".

It was here that we stumbled upon a link in the advertisements to a to a site that described exactly the type of information we needed. I was a little skeptical at first about getting the book, but as they offered a 100% money back guarantee, I felt "what did we have to lose". I went ahead and bought the book and boy was it worth it.

I was amazed. Not only was everything laid out in a concise orderly fashion, but the tips and techniques described in the book were invaluable to help creating the best model train layout for my situation. The author also threw in some freebies to go along with there offer to help you get started: Model Railroad Yard Design Explained Step-By-Step (with diagrams), 22 Model Train Layout Track Plans (with Parts Lists) and access to his personal blog that gives even more tips and creative ideas.

Now we have a great little setup in our basement that the kids and I enjoy together. With help from them and a little hard work, using the information in this book, we have made a fabulous model train layout that will hopefully give my children the same fond childhood memories as I have

The book I used is found at Model Railroad Help. I can't stress enough how much it helped me personally with creating the perfect model train layout. It'll probably help you with your model railroad problems, too.

No comments: